What is a dog walking business?
Dog walking is a kind of business in which you have a responsibility to walk people’s dogs whenever they can’t do it themselves. So let’s say when a client is busy, or he or she is on holiday or they have some other stuff to do, then they hire a people who work in this business to walk their dog for them.
How to start a dog walking business?
As you are a newcomer in this business I strongly recommend you to work for a dog walking company to get the hang of this business first. Keep in mind that this business may seem to be simple, but it’s not. So working for a dog walking company can help you learn many valuable tips related to this business and you can learn how they do it. You can eventually start your own business after that.
Within the first or second month of your work, you will probably need to adjust yourself to dog walking. So if you don’t walk a lot, it’s better to do that and get used to it as you will be walking for many hours if you start a dog walking business.
- Get dog walking insurance. After you’ve started this business make sure to get insurance. You may think that this is not a good idea especially in the beginning when you are not making a lot of money. However, something may go wrong and such insurance can really help you. You’ll also be taken seriously by your clients.
- Make sure to get a criminal background or record check. This will make your client feel good about you and they will know that you are a reliable person because many times you will be entering their home, while they are not at home
- Choose a specific service area that you want to walk in. Do not choose many service areas, because it will be tough to cover them all.
- Get some business cards or fliers. Tell about your business to your friends and ask them to recommend you to their friends and families. This will help you to get a lot of clients.
- Treat your clients’ dogs well and make sure they are having a great time like they are your own dogs. This will help you to get even more clients.
What skills do you need to become a dog walker?
- Take dog behavior courses. Because there will be times when a dog might not be acting normally and you need to know why so that you can handle the dog. You can take some online or in-person courses.
- Get First Aid Certification. There is a low possibility that something may go wrong under your watch. However, if anything goes wrong you need to know what to do. This will also make clients hire you and you will also make more money.
- Get dog training certification. If you are so serious about this business you can get this certification. This will also be an incentive for clients to hire you. Because this shows that you are really an expert.
Know that you don’t need to have all these, however, they increase your chances of being hired.
Also if you don’t have such certifications, at least get some experience by walking your friends, families, or neighbors’ dogs.
Can you make enough money as a dog walker?
The answer is yes! You may be afraid that you may not be able to make enough money to support yourself from the dog walking business. Or you may even want to quit your current job to start this business.
You can definitely make enough money to support yourself because many people have been doing this for a decade or so and they are truly happy about their income.
- Things You need to know about
- To be honest, it’ll take some time to be able to make a good amount of money.
- At first, you will not have as many clients as you’d like to have. However, little by little if you do your job well you’ll get more and more clients.
- Use social platforms, especially Instagram and Facebook to promote your business. This also will make your clients feel good about you. Because they will see that you are serious about your dog walking business.
- Ask your client for a price that is fair to them, but also beneficial for you.
- Make sure to ask your client about the behavior of their dog. Some dogs may behave aggressively in some situations. Having some information about your clients’ dogs before you walk them around will be helpful.
Tips about dog walking business
- If you want to be successful in a dog walking business, you need to live in a neighborhood with many dog owners.
- It is better if your clients are close to walking distance of your home.
- To make more money, it is ideal to walk multiple dogs at a time
- You don’t need dog walking certifications. However, they can provide you a level of legitimacy that gives your clients confidence in hiring you
- Do not get yourself involved in this business if you don’t have a genuine connection with animals.
- Knowing how to manage multiple dogs in public is important.
- Generally, you need to charge your clients $20 dollars for a 30-minute walk. For longer hours you can charge your clients $30 dollars or so.