Do you want to know how to make a sound on TikTok? Here’s a step-by-step guide on creating your first unique sound and adding it to your favorites in 3 minutes or less.
TL;DR, you need to create a video with your desired sound and post it to your feed so you can use its sound. Read on to find out how you do that.
Make Original Sound on TikTok in 2 Steps
Making your first sound on TT includes two steps, preparation/uploading and extraction. Here’s how to get each step done in less than a minute.
Step #1 : Turn the Voice into a Video (Preparation)
Your sound needs to be in the .mp4 format. So, you have to turn it into a clip. If the sound is already on your phone, use a screen recorder app, play the music/voice, and record it. That would automatically turn it into a video clip you can post to your feed. If not you need to record a video with your sound on it on your mobile phone.
Step #2 : Upload the Video to TikTok and Extract Sound from it
- Open the app and tap on the (+) icon to post a new video.
- Select ‘Upload’ on the bottom-right corner, and choose the video with your desired sound.
- Tap on ‘Next.’
- Make the video ‘Private’ so your followers can’t see it. To do so, select the option that says, ‘Who can see this video,’ and change it to private.
- Upload the video. Then, go to your profile, the ‘Me’ section.
- Tap on the video you just uploaded and open it.
- Tap on the spinning record icon on the bottom-right corner.
- You can now make it a sound on TikTok by tapping on ‘Add to Favorites’ or ‘Use This Sound.’
Easier Method: Create a Voiceover
You can directly speak to your microphone or play a song/sound and record it over your video. To do so:
- Tap the (+) icon and upload or record your video.
- Uncheck the box that says, “keep the original sound.”
- Select the ‘Voiceover’ option on the right side of the screen (The microphone icon).
- Tap on the record button and start speaking to your mic or play your favorite sound to add to the video.
Pro Tip: by long-pressing the record button, you can add voiceovers to selected parts of your content.
What if TikTok Muted Your Sound for Copyright Infringement?
According to TikTok terms and conditions, you cannot use unavailable copyrighted music/sound or others’ intellectual property in your content. So, by making a sound on TikTok, you may violate copyright law and get your video muted or deleted.
There’s currently one method (or actually a loophole) that allows you to use any sound on your TikTok video without infringing copyright. Here’s how to use it.
- Open the app and tap on the (+) button to upload a new video.
- Select the video that you think might face copyright issues.
- Tap ‘Next.’
- Select any of the ‘Recommend’ soundtracks and add them to your video.
- Then tap the music icon with the scissors on the bottom-left of the screen.
- Set the soundtrack volume to 0 (zero) and increase your ‘Original Sound’ volume.
- Finally, post your video.
Note: As of 2021, users claim that this method still works. But it’s a loophole for making a sound on TikTok when there’re legal concerns. So, TT might soon address this bug/issue. Let us know in the comments if you managed to post a video using this technique without getting muted.
Avoid Copyright Issues by Using the TT Sound Library
If you like to play the game safe, use the app’s music and sound library. To do so, you just need to select the plus icon (+) on the bottom of the screen and upload a video. TikTok will recommend a series of trending sounds/music you can add to your content and post it immediately.
Using the in-app library is 100% guaranteed to cause no copyright issues. So, your video won’t get muted or set to private after posting it. You can use the ‘More’ option to search for other sounds and songs to use for your content, too.
Things to Know About Making Your Sound on TikTok
TT is all fun until one of your videos receives a ban notice or gets muted automatically.
You better keep these things in mind if you don’t like to face that.
You might get suspended.
According to the app’s official website, “[TikTok] does not allow any content that infringes copyright. The use of copyrighted content of others without proper authorization or legally valid reason may lead to a violation of TikTok’s policies… The account may be suspended or terminated for multiple copyright violations.”
So, by making copyrighted sounds on the TikTok app, you’re risking your whole account. We highly recommend you avoid any violations of intellectual property-related laws by ensuring that your content is 100% unique.
Your sound titles should be copyright infringement-free.
You can select a title for your sounds before adding them to your favorites. But TikTok will warn you to keep the titles copyrighted material-free. Here’s what the app says: “Make sure your title doesn’t violate someone else’s intellectual property rights. Titles can be edited only once.’
Most of the time, TikTokers get muted, although their sound is unique. If that’s the case, it’s your titles that are causing the issues—not your soundtracks/voices.
Fast Recap of What You Just Learned
- You have to use a video clip with .mp4 format to create a sound on TikTok.
- You can turn any of your uploaded videos into sounds. Tap on the video and select the spinning record icon to add its sound to your favorites.
- Your voiceovers/songs/sounds should not be copyrighted. Otherwise, your content will be muted or set to private.
- The best way of staying clear of intellectual property issues is by using the in-app sound library.