As you may know, after the changes in its algorithm, Instagram would not rank posts on users’ feed just considering the time of their publication. In fact, several factors affect the rank of your posts on Instagram users’ feed. Here, we will review these factors, one of which is the engagement rate of your posts.
The task of Instagram’s ranking algorithm
How Instagram ranks posts
The Instagram post ranking formula
- Likelihood: It shows how many times a particular person has liked your posts. The higher the percentage of liking, the higher the likelihood would be.
- Engagement Rate: The engagement rate means the number of interactions divided by the number of people who have viewed the post (its reach) multiplied by 8. By interaction, we mean the total number of likes, comments, and shares of a post. We also multiply it by 8 because we need a number from 0 to 8 in this formula.
- Relevancy: Relevancy means how the subject of the post is relevant to the posts you have liked before.
- Timeliness: Timeliness means that a post published later is more likely to be shown on your feed.
- Time Spent: this is the average time users spend on the post.
As shown in the image below, each factor has particular importance in the rank of the post: